Thursday, April 17, 2008

Babies, Babies, & More Babies!


This morning we awoke, refreshed. We had finally had a good rest. Some of the team said that they woke up at 4:00 am and could not go back to sleep. Not me! I slept all night long.

After showering, we went downstairs for breakfast. It was interesting to see the food in a different culture. We were served donuts, but they were not like American donuts. They were not sweet at all, more like a roll. The girls had made fresh juice again. This morning it was mango. The juice we had had yesterday was orange. The milk is also different here. It is served warm and had a funny taste. I suspect that is is powdered milk. It is odd eating cereal with warm milk.

After breakfast, we boarded the bus and headed to KPC for orientation. Paul gave us a tour of the church facility. The auditorium was really nice, and had a balcony. Paul assured us that it would not be this quiet come Sunday morning. I couldn't wait for the worship on Sunday. I knew it will be amazing.

We were taken to a conference room and introduced to one of the pastors there. He told us a little about Watoto and the campuses. We were shocked to find out that there are THREE campuses. We had all thought there was only one. We were told that we would be working at the Bbira campus, the newest one. We were given our itineraries and our valuables were collected to store in the safe there at the church. (this was optional for us, but most of us chose to do it)

After leaving KPC, we once again were taken to the food court at the mall for lunch. I was not looking forward to this at all. It totally overwhelms a type A personality like me to be bombarded with menus and choices all at once, especially when I am not even sure what the food is. It made me want to opt for the granola bar I had stashed in my backpack, instead of ordering, but I didn't want to offend anyone there.

We finished up our lunch and headed over to the Bulrushes, the Watoto nursery for abandoned and orphaned babies. We had all been looking forward to this.

As we arrived at the Bulrushes, Andrew, our guide, asked us to please wait until he had given us the full tour of the facility before we wandered off . He told us that he would bring in teams and before he could get past the first room, they would all be gone, scooping up babies. After being there, I can see why. We all managed to respect his wishes, but the minute he gave us the okay, we ran to the cribs to grab those babies. No one went for the same baby. It was like there was a special child assigned to each of us.

The little girl I was drawn to was Mia. She was so sweet. As I approached her crib, she lifted her arms up for me to pick her up. As soon as I had her in my arms, I burst into tears. I was so overcome with the thought of these babies who were abandoned or orphaned. Each one had a different story, and each one just as sad as the next.

We were asked to help take the babies outside to the fenced in playground area, where we all sat around on benches or blankets with them. Soon the nannies brought out bottles and we were allowed to feed them. Mia drank her's in no time. I spent a lot of time with her. After she had finished her bottle, I sat her in a bumbo seat beside me and began to play with her. A little boy toddled up to me and plopped himself down in my lap. I was told by one of the nannies that his name was Keith. He was so intrigued by my long blonde hair. It would tickle the back of his head and he would shake his head back and forth and then lean forward and look back at me. He'd reach his little hand up and touch my hair softly. I had so much fun playing with those two!

We were told that we would be leaving soon and that if we wanted to visit any of the other rooms, we needed to do that soon. I hated to say goodbye to Mia and Keith, but I was given the opportunity to go into the preemie room. We had to remove our shoes and wash our hands, up to our elbows, before entering. I was given a little boy who had just graduated from the incubator that morning. His name was Nisif. He was so very tiny. I cradled him in my arms and thought how I would certainly take him home if I could. I am so done having babies and have no desire to be pregnant again, but if could have taken this little boy and given him a home, I would have done it then and there.

We were told we had to leave and that we must leave the babies. No one wanted to go. Andrew teased us, that he would check our backpacks to make sure no one was smuggling a baby out. One hour was not enough with these precious babies. As we were leaving, a van pulled up and a Watoto worker got out, with a tiny little bundle in her arms. A newly abandoned baby girl had been found. She made 81 babies in total at the orphanage. (we were told later in the week that a set of twin girls had been left at the orphanage, making 83 babies total)

It was such a heartbreaking thing to see those precious lives, abandoned and orphaned, but then I thought of how very blessed they are to have been found and adopted by Watoto, for now they will live at one of the Watoto villages and grow up in a home with 7 other children and a house mother. They will go to school and be taught Christian values. BUT, how many babies have we missed? How many little lives have been snuffed out before they could be found? My prayer for Watoto is that they will be able to open up another Bulrushes facility, and then another, as many as it takes to house these precious little ones.

It really made me think about the children in my own country and community, who are in the same situation. There are babies all over the world, who need someone to love them, and not just babies. Older children as well.

No comments: