Friday, April 25, 2008

Saying Goodbye

Godfrey(our bus driver), Andrew and Paul (our guides)
*all in black

Today we leave Uganda. I am sad to leave. I have really come to love this city and it's people in the short time I have been here. As we drove to the airport, I sat beside Paul and he and I chatted most of the way, but during the quiet moments, I thought of how much I would miss him and Andrew. We all grew to love them so much and really enjoyed every minute with them. I know I have made two friends for life. I'm just overcome with sadness, knowing that there is a very good chance I will never see them again. 

We arrived at the airport and started the process of unloading the baggage, checking in, and making our way through the many checkpoints for security and immigration. We said our goodbyes to Paul and Andrew. There were hugs all around. My eyes welled up with tears as I hugged the boys, but I managed to hold it back. 

As we were working our way through the security checkpoints, we came upon a guard who seemed very interested in who we were and what we were doing in Uganda. We shared with him that we were a mission team and had been serving at Watoto and KPC. He was excited and told us that he knew of KPC and that he was a born again Christian. We all celebrated with him and he asked if anyone had an English Bible that he could have. I could have kicked myself, because I had packed mine in my checked baggage. I would have given it to him without a second thought. I didn't even think about their being an opportunity to give my Bible away at the airport. I know now, and will have Bibles with me on future mission trips. Sharon and Woody had a Bible in their carry on bag and left it with him. He was so excited and grinned from ear to ear. That was wonderful to witness. What a wonderful way to leave Uganda.

We boarded the plane and began our long flight to London. We will spend two nights at the Foreign Missions Club there and will enjoy some sightseeing and fun together before flying home to Arizona on Sunday.

No comments: